WELCOME

I finally got around to making a seperate blog for all my cakes and other fun things. This blog includes all the cakes I have made since I took up the hobby of cake decorating back in May 2008. I have completed all 4 Wilton Cake Decorating Courses and continue to learn more fun techniques as time goes by. Keep checking back from some more fun ideas!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Baby is 1!!!!

He LOVED the little teddy bear!!!
This cake was inspired by the cute invitations I had bought before he was born....on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I have been into the Green and Blue kick for him since before he was born. His room is blue and green (not the blue and green I used for his bday)....and so it was fitting to have blue and green as his birthday colors. We had a "TEDDY BEAR PICNIC" birthday party and since the invites had little bears on them along with cute blue and green stripes I decided I was going to make the traditional Wilton Bear cake using the TEddy bear cake pan....guess what? I can't find it anywhere and I really didn't want to pay a lot for a new pan...So I decided I would create my own bear cake. I made a 2 layer white 8" square cake on the bottom and a 2 layer 6" round chocolate on top....with my traditional buttercream...I really wanted to do fondant because it looks so much better...but it just tastes awful....so I tried my best to create a fondant looking cake with my buttercream. I made the teddy bears out of fondant though. It is a tradition for me to make my 1 year olds their very own mini-cake to dig into. My baby didn't really dig into it like I had planned but he sure did like eating it from a fork! It was delicious! Since I had to hurry to finish this cake...I realize I got a little sloppy on the lines...it bugs me they are not straight...but I guess thats what happens when you have only 30 minutes to decorate it (the finish work of course blue/green and star border)


Notice the Blue Teddy Bear chocolates (left of picture) I made using my bear candy mold!

1 comment:

  1. I love your cakes for your little man. I wish you lived here so I could have had you do the twinners cake, I was looking for someone to do a fun cake for them, but ended up with just a plain old bakery cake. That is a great talent that you have! And your little family is the cutest, hope all is going great with you!

    ReplyDelete